We’re looking forward to seeing you and your students at Magik Theatre! Please take a moment to review these helpful hints about our reservation policies.
If you are interested in hosting one of our Magik on the Road productions, please visit HERE for more information on shows and rates.
ABOUT Maddi’s Fridge
Adapted by Anne Negri
From the book by Lois Brandt
Illustrated by Vin Vogel
Recommended for ages 5+
Maddi and Sofia are best friends. One day, Sofia discovers that Maddi has no food in her fridge at home. Sofia wants to help her friend, but Maddi makes her promise not to tell anyone. What should Sofia do? Based on the book by Lois Brandt, this heartwarming and hilarious play is a story about honesty, sensitivity, and instilling important lessons in friendship, empathy, and helping others.
FIELD TRIP PERFORMANCE DATES & TIMES:
- Friday, September 17, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Friday, October 1, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Friday, October 22, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, October 22, 2021 at 11:45 am
ABOUT Snow White
by Greg Banks
Recommended for ages 6+
This is not your usual “Once Upon a Time.” Classic? No. Wild? Yes! To start with, it’s a two-person play. Do the math. Snow White and the Seven Dwarves? Two fabulous, whip-smart, super-fast actors play Snow White, the huntsman, the prince, and all seven dwarves! And it’s funny. Really, really funny. So expect the unexpected in this fabulous fairy tale with a (spoiler alert) you-won’t-see-it-coming twist.
Field Trip Performance Dates & Times:
- Thursday, October 14, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Friday, October 15, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, October 15, 2021 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, October 28, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, October 29, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, October 29, 2021 at 11:45 am
ABOUT Ella Enchanted
By Karen Zacarías
Music by Deborah Wicks La Puma
Adapted from the book by Gail Carson Levine
Recommended for ages 5+
Ella of Frell is turning the traditional Cinderella story upside down. At birth, she was given the “gift” of obedience by her misguided fairy godmother. But as a teenager, strong-willed Ella chooses to reject her fate and embarks on a quest to break the curse forever. Through her adventures, Ella must outwit evil stepsisters, escape hungry ogres, and save the prince before she can claim her real voice. Ella Enchanted: The Musical is a fairy tale about self-empowerment, perseverance in the face of insurmountable obstacles, and an eagerness to learn. Don’t miss this heart-warming and powerful tale that will encourage children of all ages to discover the power of words – within their own voice.
*Special 2-act production.
Field Trip Performance Dates Times:
- Friday, November 19, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, December 1, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, December 2, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Friday, December 3, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, December 8, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, December 9, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Friday, December 10, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, December 15, 2021 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 10:00 am
ABOUT The Snowy Day and Other Stories by Ezra Jack Keats
Adapted for the stage by Jerome Hairston
Based on the books by Ezra Jack Keats
Produced by special arrangement with Plays for New Audiences
Recommended for ages 3+
Celebrate the magic and boundless possibilities of the first snowfall! Follow Peter and his friends as they romp and play, starting snowball fights and making snow angels in this imaginative musical play about the childhood joys and challenges of growing up. Keats’ treasured characters come to life in this humorous and fun adaptation of Whistle for Willie, Goggles!, A Letter to Amy, and The Snowy Day.
Field Trip Performance Dates & Times:
- Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, January 27, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Friday, January 28, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, January 28, 2021 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, February 3, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, February 3, 2021 at 11:45 am
- Friday, February 4, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, February 4, 2021 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, February 10, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, February 10, 2021 at 11:45 am
- Friday, February 11, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, February 11, 2021 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, February 17, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, February 17, 2021 at 11:45 am
- Friday, February 18, 2021 at 9:45 am
- Friday, February 18, 2021 at 11: 45 am
ABOUT Selena Maria Sings
By Miriam Gonzales
Music by Daniel French
Recommended for ages 9+
Named after Selena Quintanilla, queen of the Tejano music scene, Selena Maria has so much to live up to. Like her namesake, Selena Maria’s passion is music—but her heart belongs to indie sounds and songwriting. Her mom, a Selena superfan, wants her to be all the things her beloved icon stood for (on and off the stage), but Selena Maria struggles to be herself while she’s trying to be someone else. With the help of her prima Cissy and a few others along the way, Selena Maria begins to find her own voice. Selena Maria Sings tells a story of music, family, immense love, and the strength it takes to be yourself.
Field Trip Performance Dates & Times:
- Friday, March 4, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, March 9, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, March 10, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Friday, March 11, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Wednesday, March 16, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Thursday, March 17, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Friday, March 18, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Tuesday, March 22, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Wednesday, March 23, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, March 24, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Friday, March 25, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Friday, March 25, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Tuesday, March 29, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Wednesday, March 30, 2022 at 11:45 am
ABOUT Junie B. Jones: Toothless Wonder
Adapted by Allison Gregory
Based on the book series by Barbara Park, illustrated by Denise Brunkus
Recommended for ages 4+
One of Junie B. Jones’s top front teeth is loose! Only Junie B. is not that thrilled about this development because what if she looks like toothless Uncle Lou? And even worse – what’s all this tooth fairy business? Meanwhile, that meanie Jim has invited everyone in Room Nine to his birthday party on Saturday except Junie B.! Should she have her own birthday party six months early and not invite Jim? Or should she move to It’s a Small World After All in Disneyland?
Field Trip Performance Dates & Times:
- Friday, May 6, 2022 at 10:00 am
- Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, May 12, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Friday, May 13, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Friday, May 13, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Tuesday, May 17, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Wednesday, May 18, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, May 19, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Friday, May 20, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Friday, May 20, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Tuesday, May 24, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Thursday, May 26, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Friday, May 27, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Friday, May 27, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Tuesday, May 31, 2022 at 11:45 am
- Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 9:45 am
- Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 11:45 am
Field Trip Rates
For every 10-student ticket purchased, you will get one FREE teacher admission in your group reservation! This includes private, public, charter, home school, and daycare groups.
Field trip rates for Maddi’s Fridge, Snow White, Snowy Day, Selena Maria Sings, and Junie B. Jones:
- $7.00 per child: Student Rate
- $5.50 per child: Title 1 per Student Rate (with documentation)
- $15.00 per guest – Additional field trip guest (per person, with documentation)
Special rates for Ella Enchanted: The Musical:
- $10.00 per child – Student rate
- $8.50 per child – Title 1 per Student rate (with documentation)
- $18.00 per guest – Additional field trip guest (per person, with documentation)
Please note, rates vary for performances held during spring break, Thanksgiving, Christmas break, summer, and other holidays.
Group rates for our summer programs that include Junie B. Jones: Toothless Wonder (after June 5), start at $16 for groups of 10 or more. This will include students and teachers, additional tickets for adults will be $20.
- Once received, please review and sign your field trip invoice, then e-mail or fax it to the Theatre within 2 days of booking your field trip.
- A 25% deposit (or the full amount, if your school prefers to only cut one check) must be paid 30 days from the date you confirmed your reservation. Seating is based on availability and payments received.
- The balance must be paid on the day of your performance, please arrive early for check-in and to arrange for your tickets. (For quicker check-in to avoid any delays, payment in advance is preferred).
- The Theatre does not accept purchase orders, all accounts must be paid in full at check-in.
No refunds are given the day of the show. Refund check request will be submitted and payment made within 4-6 weeks.
- Please call the Theatre immediately if you have any changes to the performance date, number of children or adults, or special needs.
- To decrease your ticket numbers, you have up until 2 weeks before the show date. No refunds will be made after final confirmation of seats.
- To increase your ticket numbers, please call the Theatre ASAP, and we will do our best to accommodate your extra guests.
- Our staff will e-mail or call you the 2 weeks prior to the week of your show to confirm your numbers. Please respond no later than 2 weeks before your show date to ensure we have the correct number of seats reserved for your group.
- You may drop however many tickets you need to by 2 weeks before the show date without paying for the tickets that you drop. Final count is due 2 weeks prior and no adjustments can be made on the day of the performance. No refunds can be made on the day of the performance. If you have any major changes to your order, please call the box office at (210) 227-2751.
Please read the following options carefully and communicate our policies to your parents prior to attending.
PARENTS/CHAPERONES SEATED WITH THE GROUP:
If you want the parents to be guaranteed a seat with your group, you must include the parents in your adult ticket request at the time of your group reservation.
Teacher/organizer must collect the $15 per ticket from the parent(s) and payment must be included in your final payment to the box office. We recommend giving parents a deadline (3 weeks before your show date) to turn in their money to the school so you are able to have a final count. If you select this option, your parents do not need to contact the Theatre.
DUE TO COVID-19 SAFETY PROTOCOLS, NO TICKETS WILL BE SOLD AT THE DOOR/BOX OFFICE TO PARENTS
All tickets must be purchased and arranged in advance if parents are allowed to sit with their child(ren) if tickets are arranged with initial order. Teachers are responsible to notify parents that tickets will not be available to purchase for fieldtrip performances.
PRE & POST-PERFORMANCE:
Immediately after the performance (most school programs are held from Oct-May), a 10-minute talkback and Q&A is held by the cast that meets important TEKS standards and compliments our study guide for each show. Call the box office 210.227.2751 for assistance with your group purchase. Ask about how your classroom can take a backstage tour!
After unloading, buses and commercial vehicles are not permitted to stay parked alongside the curb of Alamo Street in front of the Theatre during the show. Free parking for buses is available nearby at the Alamodome, Lot A. For information regarding the Alamodome bus parking, call (210) 207-3680 or visit http://www.alamodome.com/plan-your-visit/disabled-services. The Alamodome allows school buses to park in its Disabled Parking Lot (Lot A), unless there is a large event going on that requires the parking lot. If the Alamodome lot is unavailable, alternate bus parking can be found on Camaron Street between Martin Street and Travis Street. It is on-the-street parking reserved for buses (the closest address is 450 Camaron Street). There is signage along the street that says “Reserved for Tour Buses”, but the City of San Antonio has confirmed that this area is available for school buses as well, and is free of charge. There are also 1 or 2 bus parking spots along Nueva Street, which is the street at the end of our building.
Parents should plan to arrive early to park at nearby parking lots (Rates vary from $5-$15). The Theatre does not have a dedicated parking lot. A daytime parking map for parents can be found in our Parking and Directions page.
Doors will open 30 minutes prior to show time for weekday performances. Please plan to arrive at the time the doors open to avoid any delays or late seating. Teacher/organizer must check in the box office as the group/classes are getting lined up by Magik Theatre Staff. The teacher/organizer will pass out tickets to the parents/teachers that are included in her group count. Parents who wish to purchase or have purchased tickets in advance should plan to arrive early and check in at the box office. Please note, if you are not part of the reservation made by the teacher/organizer, you will not be seating with the group.
If you plan to eat lunch after the show, you may leave your lunches in our 2nd lobby against the wall during the show. The Yanaguana Garden playground and park is located right next to the Theatre and is a great place to enjoy a picnic lunch before or after the show.
As we get closer to your show date, you can find study guides for each show and grade level at the bottom of this page.
Thank you for your reservation, and enjoy your visit to The Magik Theatre!
Magik Theatre is a proud member of the Texas Touring Roster hosted by the Texas Commission on the Arts (TCA). You can apply directly to the Mid-America Arts Alliance or the Texas Commission on the Arts for a grant to cover up to 50% of the touring fees and expenses. Please contact these two agencies directly for additional information on grant requests, for more information or assistance with submitting your grant request, email us at email@example.com.
Eligibility: All Texas nonprofits, schools, colleges, and units of government.
QUARTERLY DEADLINE TO APPLY FOR FUNDING THROUGH TCA:
August 1, 2021 – for activities occurring September 1 – December 14
November 1, 2021 – for activities occurring December 15 – March 14
February 1, 2021 – for activities occurring March 15 – June 14
May 1, 2021 – for activities occurring June 15 – August 31
For 2020-21 season study guides – click here.
Coming soon: 2021-22 season study guides!