Brought to you by Magik Theatre’s Education Department.
Summary of Program
Our LIT program is an exciting new 2-week summer training program created to serve the next generation of artists and leaders in San Antonio by empowering middle and high school students with real-world experience in a professional theatre company.
Selected candidates will develop their leadership abilities by working side-by-side with our Summer Camp Teaching Artists. LITs will not only assist with daily camp activities but have the opportunity to lead them as well. LITs will be a role model for our campers, encouraging their creativity and imagination.
The LIT program is limited to 8 participants in total. The program fee is $250/week ($500 total) and includes a special LIT t-shirt and a certificate of completion. Limited scholarships are available.
If you are a leader who loves theatre, apply to be a part of Magik Theatre’s inaugural Leaders In Training (LIT) cohort this summer!
Interested candidates should submit an application using the link below. Applications close at 11:59 pm March 31st, 2024.
- Conduct themselves appropriately in a professional work environment
- Manage time and tasks as assigned
- Assist Teaching Artists and campers with lesson plans and activities
- Execute problem-solving skills and model a growth mindset
- Demonstrate presentation skills during weekly sharing
- Facilitate the learning of other students by leading theatre games and modeling skills
- Act as a positive role model for all campers
- Assist and support Lead Teaching Artists in the classroom by working with campers in small groups or one-on-one
- Prepare and reset spaces for incoming campers
- Develop skills to lead group activities during class time or transitions
- Support and participation in Friday sharings
We are seeking rising 6th-12th graders who have a passion for theatre arts and desire to share their experience with the community. Chosen candidates will be trained and assisted by Teaching Artists and Magik Theatre staff familiar with our curriculum and programs. Ideal candidates will also have:
- Curiosity to learn about theatre arts as an educational discipline (performance, storytelling, musical performance, technical theatre, production, puppetry, etc.)
- Open communication and organizational skills
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Willingness to assist and collaborate with others
Camp is a high-energy environment with many moving parts. As LITs are expected to participate in all activities, including some that are physical (jumping, dancing, kneeling, crawling, etc.) please communicate on your application if you have any injuries or require any accommodations.
LITs will uphold the camp schedule and structure in alignment with staff direction. They will receive support and mentorship from Teaching Artists, Camp Management, and Education Department Leadership throughout the program.
The time commitment is 2 full weeks of camp (M – F) and camp weeks need not be consecutive.
All participating Leaders in Training will also be required to attend our pre-camp orientation to prepare them for the experience. The 2-hour Saturday orientation which will be scheduled before the first day of camp (June 3rd, 2024). Specific dates and times will be discussed during the interview process.
Orientation will provide LITs the opportunity to familiarize themselves with camp expectations and structure, meet summer camp staff, and learn positive engagement strategies that will equip them for working with campers. They will also have time to ask any questions that they may have and explore how their strengths can best serve the team.
You will be asked for your availability on the application form.
To apply, please obtain 1 – 2 letters of recommendation and fill out the application linked below. (Letters of recommendation should be written by a trusted adult who is not a family member. This could be a teacher, a counselor, a coach, a supervisor, a mentor, a boss, a volunteer coordinator, etc. Letters should be no longer than a page.) We will contact you for a follow-up interview if selected for the LIT program.
Applications close at 11:59 pm March 31st, 2024.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Magik Theatre is committed to equity, diversity, inclusion, and justice in our organization and our community, and thus we strongly encourage and welcome applicants who are Black, Indigenous, or People of Color, as well as those who are from other underrepresented communities.
Magik Theatre is committed to the principles of arts education, promoting literacy, and providing quality arts programming for families, and fashions its programs to specifically address the needs of the San Antonio community and the creative education of individual children. Accordingly, we welcome and encourage applications from a diverse range of individuals.