Sensory-friendly performances are designed to create a welcoming environment for people who are on the autism spectrum or may have sensory sensitivities.
The integrity of the performance remains the same, while production elements are modified to accommodate individuals with sensory needs allowing families and friends of those with autism or other disabilities the opportunity to enjoy an authentic performance experience together.
Our goal is a relaxed and judgment-free theatre experience where audiences can move around or take breaks in the lobby, sing or talk during the performance, or wear sunglasses in the auditorium. We welcome you!
BEFORE THE PERFORMANCE
- Limited crowds and visitors during the day and timing of the performance
- Doors open one-hour prior to curtain, to help familiarize patrons with the spaces and experiences they will encounter while attending this show.
- Limited crowds with open seating to allow space between groups
- Meet the staff, ushers, and volunteers that are trained to be inviting and accommodating to families’ needs
- Access to Social Stories guide to social information about the experience of attending Magik Theatre and enjoying the performance. ( Gain access pre-visit and available onsite day of performance)
- Sensory regulating toys will be available in the lobby
DURING THE PERFORMANCE
- House lights remain on at a low level in the theater during the performance
- Sound levels are lowered, especially startling or loud sounds, while preserving the original sound quality
- A reduction of strobe lighting and lighting focused on the audience
- Patrons have the freedom to talk and leave their seats during the performance
- Entering and exiting the auditorium will be allowed throughout the performance
- The lobby monitor will allow patrons to continue watching the performance if there is a need to leave the seating area at any point during the performance.
- Electronics are allowed for therapeutic use